The Woman’s Club of Parsippany-Troy Hills is a member of the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs (NJSFWC), which was founded in 1894 and has been headquartered on the Douglass Residential Campus, formerly Douglass College, in New Brunswick since 1966. Today, NJSFWC is comprised of 8,000 members in over 200 clubs throughout the state. NJSFWC is a member of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC), the oldest and largest nonpartisan, nondenominational women’s volunteer service organization in the world. There are over 100,000 members in 4,000 worldwide clubs.
New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs
In 1918, the NJSFWC founded the New Jersey College for Women (now Douglass Residential College), and through our scholarships to Douglass students, the Federation continues to support this institution with its strong tradition of training tomorrow’s women leaders.
- The efforts of the NJSFWC led to the formation of the Palisades Interstate Park Commission to oversee the preservation of the Palisades.
- In 2003, the Federation was named the Grassroots Organization of the Year by the Highlands Coalition.
- The New Jersey Library Association granted its “Library Champions Award” to the NJSFWC in 2004, recognizing the federation for the role that it and individual clubs played in the establishment of public libraries in the state, as well as the group’s continued support of libraries.
- The Federation received widespread recognition for its letter writing campaign to state and Federal legislators which helped secure passage in 2004 of the Highlands Water Protection and Planning Act to protect water quality for more than one half of New Jersey’s population.
- Every two years, members throughout the state support a defined special project with fundraising, in-kind donations and public awareness campaigns. Examples of these projects include the Valerie Fund when $226,658 was raised; Canine Companions for Independence, raising almost $190,000; the Community FoodBank of New Jersey and its state-wide affiliates, contributing $140,000; and most recently, contributing cash and in-kind services totaling more than $600,000 to support New Jersey’s domestic violence shelters and their client families.
For more information on the New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs – www.njsfwc.org or visit
General Federation of Women’s Clubs
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service, with members in all 50 states and more than a dozen countries.
- GFWC is credited with turning the tide in favor of the passage of the Pure Food and Drug Act in 1906 (an effort initiated by a New Jersey clubwoman, Alice Leakey of Cranford.
- Founding 75% of the public libraries in the country in the 1930’s.
- Campaigning in the 1960’s for seatbelts in all cars and streetlights on neighborhood streets.
- The fulfillment of its commitment to America’s Promise by raising and donating over $13.5 million in books and materials to public libraries and public school libraries (1997-2002), continuing GFWC’s traditional support for libraries.
- Contributing $180,000 for a fully-equipped ambulance for use by the New York Fire Department in response to the loss of equipment suffered during the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.
For more information on the General Federation of Women’s Clubs – www.gfwc.org